Monday, May 11, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different



It had to come some time. We all knew there was a time when I would have to throw off the shackles of the treadmill (and singlehandedly ameliorate the Y's equipment budget for next year) and get out on the actual asphalt and pound the pavement.

Tonight was the night!

Goodbye screaming treadmill! I bid the machine mounted TV adieu. Sayonara, you wacky "Mythbusters" on Discovery Channel! Farewell, Geico gecko commercials!

Tonight was the night I tested myself on the road. I plotted out a 3.1 mile course in my neighborhood! It had hills! I swiped my fiance's stopwatch, loaded up my iPod with a playlist and set out! This was a chance to test a whole lot of theories and circumstances.

Things I learned on my run:
1) Don't look too far into the distance. Look down at the ground, slightly ahead. Looking far ahead will make you dizzy.
2) Cinching the iPod armband as tight as a tourniquet is slightly counter-productive.
3) Sometimes bugs will fly into your mouth...
4) ...It's ok to spit if you're running for charity.
5) songs that work to keep my pace up:
- "Ready Set Go" Ben Gidsjoy
- "The Theme" Digby Jones Orchestra
- " Do Your Thing" Basement Jaxx
- "Charmed By a Rose" Lord Vanger- Operatica
6) songs that just annoyed the heck out of me:
- "Where's Your Head At" Basement Jaxx
- "Technologic" Daft Punk

So tonight was a success! I clocked in at roughly the same pace as the last treadmill run, which really surprised me, since my new course has hills.

Stats:
total time: 30:00
total distance: 2.38 miles

PS - many apologies for biffing last Friday's run. Between Mom's birthday, the Red Dress Run ,a late concert Saturday, and Mother's Day Sunday, things got hectic.

No comments:

Post a Comment