
Hi!
And welcome to my training blog for the Freihofer's 5K Run for Women!
It seems odd that me, the most reluctant of athletes, would be training for a 5K run, but here I am, not only doing it but blogging about it too! I actually ran the Freihofer race last year, just to see if I could do it. I use the term "ran" loosely - paraplegic turtles could have run it faster than me! But I did finish, and that was a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
This year, I decided to do something more. Shortly after I registered for this year's race, I received an email from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, asking me if I would run the race to raise money for leukemia and lymphoma research. It was an easy answer - YES! Too many friends and family have been affected by this disease.
I attended an informational meeting and the wonderful people at the LLS described the "Team In Training" concept, whereby they provide you with coaches, mentors, and training programs. All you have to do is raise money. The best benefit, though, is knowing you are part of a team, training with a common goal in mind, with a common purpose. The camaraderie is invigorating and really motivating!
I chose to run this race in memory of Doug Moak, a dear friend of mine, who was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2000, and passed away in October of 2005. My father, Robert Keniston, is also being remembered in this race. He passed away in July of 2007 of esophageal cancer. While that's not leukemia or lymphoma, I figure all cancer research funding benefits the entire scientific community, and advances the treatment of all, so I am running in his memory as well.
I am also running in honor of my co-worker, Sue Krasher, who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma and will be starting treatment soon.
So what's this blog for? I'm going to track my progress as I train. I'm following a Couch to 5K training plan. The little "Training" sidebar on the right will tell you what's on tap for the week. I'll be adding more content to the right sidebar as we go along - some related to training, some not. All training and no play makes Deirdre a dull girl!
This blog is also here to keep me honest - if I have to account for my training every day, I'll be less likely to skip a day, or lose focus.
If you can donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, you have my eternal thanks. A link to my fundraising page is on the right. If you can only offer support and encouragement, that's equally valuable, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Thanks so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment