Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm like a bad penny....

....I keep turning up! I'm back! I signed up to run the Lake Placid Half Marathon on June 13th for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. For those of you keeping track at home, here's some random stats:

1 = races I've run for the LLS
1000 = bucks I raised for the LLS by running
countless = friends I've gained by participating in this process
3 = steps I run before I go "ow, this hurts!"

Kidding. It's only 2 steps.

As I've stated before on this blog, I'm not a natural athlete. I'm a big fan of walking the dog, running to catch the elevator door, pulling weeds, alphabetizing things and folding laundry. That's about as crazy as I get on an average day. I know the benefits of regular exercise. I know how important it is to get out there and get moving. And for the most part, I do, but not usually in a manner that makes my knees hurt and my wobbly bits fly around.

But I'm throwing caution (and the wobbly bits) to the wind yet again, to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and the incredible work they do to support patients with blood cancers, and to support research that will find a cure.

I'm running this race in memory of two dear friends who passed away from lymphoma, Doug Moak and Frank Strasser. If you've read this blog before, you know a little bit about Doug. And I want to share the joy that was Frank Strasser - Frank was a NYS Trooper, opera lover, a noted authority and champion rose grower, and a dear friend. Frank's curiosity and interests were boundless. Frank had a kind word and an outlandish anecdote for everyone. Frank passed away last year, but his irrepressible spirit lives on. I'll tell you more about these inspirational men in future blog posts.

I hope you can support me on this journey. As I did with the Freihofer Run for Women last year, I'm going to blog every day about my training. It won't be all deadly recits of stats and mileage. I'll throw some fun stuff in too. Please check back often. Daily, in fact. Knowing that there's someone out there keeping an eye on me will help me not to slack off!

If you can, please consider donating on my fundraising page. There are incentives there, to help you feel connected to the race and to the training.

Thanks again for your support!!!

2 comments:

  1. Let me guest post about Dad, Deirdre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear Lord, YES!! I'll set you up as a co-author, my beautiful friend!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete