Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thinning the Herd




It was only a matter of time. Remember when I told you that I have killed 2 exercise machines at the Y where I train? Add another notch to my wicking shirt. I took a treadmill out tonight!

It must be instinct, or else my hunting skills are as reflexive as a dry heave whenever Rachael Ray comes on TV, but I didn't set out to kill tonight. I climbed on the victim, set my workout stats, plugged in my earphones and within a minute of starting, felt a tap on my shoulder.

Wellness Director: [something I can't make out because I still have my earphones in]
(I remove my earphones)(I hear an inhuman screeching sound)
Me: I'm sorry what did you say?
Wellness Director: I need you to step off the machine, ma'am.
(I realize the screaming is coming from my machine)
Me: what's my kill tally now?
Wellness Director: three

Up went the "out of order" sign, and I moved to another machine. Where I clocked another personal best!

You might think that the Y would raise my rates with the number of machines I've demolished there, but I have talked them around to my way of thinking. I'm doing them a favor. I'm culling the herd. I'm removing the weak and inferior machines from the exercise pool.

It's a thankless job. Really.

Stats:
total time: 30:00
total distance: 2.37 miles.

That's a 12:39/mile pace. If I run this fast (and I used the term "fast" lightly) I'll complete the course in 39:12, which is 4 minutes faster than I ran it last year. I have a feeling I'll shave some more time off, but if I can get it done anywhere between 35:00 and 38:00, I'll be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment