Not if you're an idiot who doesn't drink enough water during the day so that her electrolytes get wildly out of whack. Typical newbie blunder. It's good that I'm getting these mistakes out of the way early, right?
Today was a great day. I had lunch with some high school buddies (I had fries. I hang my head in shame), and was pretty productive at work. I got home, changed into my running gear, stretched and fired up the iPod. I run in the new development behind my house - 200+ houses, with lovely lawns and landscaping and SIDEWALKS! Nice!

About a half mile in, my calves started cramping up. Big time. Enough to make me shorten my stride. I tried running on the balls of my feet. No good. I tried twisting my leg mid-stride to work the kinks out (that must have made me look like and inebriated ostrich to an onlooker). That didn't work either. I toughed it out to the 1.5 mile mark. Then I walked the last mile home. BOO!!
I know better now. Water water water. Bananas bananas bananas (to prime the potassium pump). Gatorade gatorade gatorade.
Hopefully I won't be making the same mistake again!
Hi Dierdre,
ReplyDeleteRobyn Diaz linked me to your blog because I am also running the Lake Placid half. I just signed up last night after a lot of indecision. I ran 4 slow miles today, and I took the liberty of copying your training schedule! If you ever want someone to run (slowly) with, let me know at jaimeir18@gmail.
Good luck with your training!
Jaime
Hey Jaime! Congrats on signing up!! That's fantastic! I'm glad you grabbed the training schedule - it's a good one, with lots of leeway for amateur runners. I'll see if I can dig up the link to the article in Runners World where I found it. It had lots of diet and nutrition tips too!
ReplyDeleteMost of my weekday runs are done at the ungodly hour of 5am, but I'd encourage you to come out to the TNT runs that are held at the Niskayuna bikepath on Saturdays. I'll email you the info.
Again, congrats!! You'll do great!
And hi Robyn!! Hugs to you and Jorge!