
Today's 4 miles got itself run in 48 minutes. I'm pretty much stuck at the 12:00/mile pace, but as I said before, I'm not bothered! It gets me to the finish line in under 3 hours! And this isn't about time, or racing. It's about doing something concrete to help people who suffer from blood cancers.
I say "got itself run", because today seemed to zip by on fleet feet! I took the afternoon off from work, so the day already seemed preternaturally short. I got home at 1pm, changed into running gear and headed out the door. Forty eight minutes later I was showering, doing laundry, and then headed out the door to a late afternoon rehearsal at SUNYA (I'm ringing with the UAlbany Chorale on a few pieces for their spring concert). Then it was a quick stop at Subway for a healthy sub and out the door for another choir practice, this time church choir. I look back on the day and I hardly remember doing the running at all! I remember when four miles seemed like a Really Big Deal. Now it's a blink of an eye! Wow!
We're at the six week point. Halfway done with training. Halfway to race day. But it's not all downhill from here. It's going to get incrementally harder, week by week, til race day. I have to confess I am daunted. These long runs are a little scary. I have to keep the mindset that "you did this much mileage last week. you only need to do ONE MORE MILE than you did last week. you can do this."
It also helps to imagine Doug Moak grinning at me and saying "move your skinny butt, McShane!". Doug was an awesome motivator!
I'm also really worried about not meeting my fundraising goal, but I have faith that things will work out. It's been a real honor to train with the LLS and TNT teams, and I'm going to make sure I make all my donors proud of me!
No comments:
Post a Comment