Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Profiles in Awesomeness #4: Jennie Moak Piazza


she's so cute I could eat her up

This is Jennie Moak Piazza. Jennie is the organist at my church. Jennie was my first piano teacher. Jennie is the sort of accompanist that gives you direction and lets you fly free at the same time. She is always there, right under you, giving you that safety net, and the confidence that you need to get the job done.

I have never met anyone as SOLID as Jennie. This is a woman who is so sure and loving and warm, it radiates. It makes other people feel like all is right in the world. It's funny too, because she's such a tiny thing. Yet she is a giant in my eyes.

Jennie is Doug Moak's widow. They were two peas in a pod, and in my mind, they still are. Doug and Jen, Jen and Doug. In so many ways, they were like two sides of the same coin, with music being the metal. Doug, shy and taciturn, Jennie outgoing and sparkling. Doug's warm honeyed tenor, Jennie's sweet soprano, tuned so well to each other.

Jennie is someone who I look forward to seeing every week. Jennie taught me more than music - she taught me the value of cheerful discipline and she taught me that practice has it's own great rewards. She also taught me the most valuable lesson of all - I don't HAVE to be perfect, I just have to keep trying, and your own unique version of perfection will come. I wouldn't be half the singer I am today if I hadn't benefitted from Jennie's wisdom.

And those are qualities that translate into all facets of life - the cheerful discipline, the enjoyment of the process rather than the rewards - I wouldn't know any of this were it not for Jennie.

Thank you Jennie. I don't think I say that enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment