Thursday, June 10, 2010

Profiles in Awesomeness #5 (&6!): My TNT Mentors, Carrie O'Laughlin and Gabi Tanski


That's Carrie on the upper left, Gabi is lower right

Here's to wonderful women who inspire you EVERY SINGLE DAY!! Carrie and Gabi do just that.

When you sign up to run a race for the LLS, the Team In Training program (TNT) assigns you a mentor. This is an alumni who helps you out, guides you through the whole fundraising/training process, listens to your concerns, runs your training runs with you, and is generally there to lend support and help you achieve your goals.

The first year I trained with TNT, I got Gabi Tanski as my mentor, and let me tell you, was I lucky!! Gabi is a force of nature, with boundless energy, wit and charm! She was the one in the parking lot hugging EVERYONE before our group runs. Her constant enthusiasm, good mood, and cheer kept me focused and on target. She listened to all my doubts, and always believed in me, even with I wasn't so sure of myself. Our race is over, but she's my friend and constant source of support.

This year, when I signed up for the half marathon, I lucked out AGAIN! I got Carrie for a mentor, and I couldn't have asked for a more supportive mentor, and one who has so much experience with distance running! She kept in constant touch by email, helped me brainstorm some fundraising ideas (we'll do the Trike Race for SURE next year, Carrie!), and listened to any concerns I had and gave me sterling advice. Which is good, because I'm a newbie to this long distance stuff - I need all the hand holding I can get! She's a true inspiration who gives me a lot of confidence.

I am REALLY really lucky to have the support of these two exceptional women!

No comments:

Post a Comment