Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rest Day

It's Thursday, so that means no training run. I woke up this morning with pleasantly sore quads. Nothing bad - just the kind of ache that tells you you've been working and waking up the muscles. I was sort of proud of the stiffness. I got an hour long walk (about 4 miles) in before I had to report to church for Holy Thursday services. I love that little pinging in the muscles that you get after you've walked or ran a good distance. It also loosened up the tightness in the quads.

Tomorrow is a pretty big day. Sue Krasher, one of my heroes for whom I am running this race, has her first chemotherapy tomorrow. Sue was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, and her prognosis is good, but she has to undergo six cycles to treat her lymphoma - one treatment, every three weeks. She'll finish in July. She cut her hair recently to a short pixie cut that looks extremely fetching. I am really awed by how gracefully she is handling everything. She's a wonderful, old soul, and you can always count on her for a wise word, and funny joke. She has a daughter and son and a wonderful support network.

Tomorrow I need to get up early to get my training run in - there's just no time in the evening. As I mentioned before, it would be a serious understatement to say that I'm not a morning person, but you know what? The inconvenience of having to get up early to exercise pales in comparison to what Sue has to do tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to kicking tomorrow morning's butt, for Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment