
You know things are getting serious when you start having nightmares about your training, or your fundraising.
Last night I dreamed that I had agreed, as a fundraising stunt, to ride a Big Wheel down one of the main roads in my hometown. You remember Big Wheels, right? Made of smelly plastic, one giant grinding loud wheel in front, low-slung adjustable cruising seat, giant back mag wheels in the back that would rip the skin off your elbows if you didn't hold them up? Big Wheels RULED. I was the terror of the sidewalk in mine.
However, in my nightmare, I was riding a kid-size Big Wheel as an adult. Let me tell you, fitting into a Big Wheel when your butt is wider than the trike itself is pretty hard. The whole dream was filled with me sweating and panting and cursing my fate as townspeople lined the route, jeering.
I woke up, shaking. Then I thought - you know, this isn't such a bad fundraising idea. I'm pretty sure my town officials wouldn't go for the idea of shutting down the main cross street in town, but what about maybe having a Big Wheel Derby at the high school track? Sort of like a Kentucky Derby, but with adults riding Big Wheels. We'd charge a $25 registration fee for anyone wanting to race, and admission to the event would be a free will donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. There'd be facepainting for the kids, booths for local vendors, trophies for the victors (and maybe a rose blanket to lay over the champion Big Wheel) and all proceeds could go to the LLS.
I'd certainly pay money to see adults race around a track on Big Wheels. What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment